Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Holiday season . . .

I was thinking the other day how amazing this time is that we are coming upon. The CHRISTmas season is a very important one. It is amazing to think that before Jesus came into this world people still had to sacrifice burnt offerings to get in touch or to seek the favor of the Lord. Nowadays because of Jesus' extravagant love for us, we no longer need to win the affection of the Lord . . . WE ALREADY HAVE IT!!!! :)

As Betka and I are still reeling from the amazing blessing that the Lord blessed us with being financially able to "be home" for Christmas this year, we acknowledge that He is Lord over everything in our lives and it is our job to remember to keep turning things over to Him. I was reading a book called "A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins. Even though it was written in the 1970s and is about a young man finding "himself" it also has some really interesting points about God and how great He is and how amazing His love for us is. One specific part that I have in mind right now is the part where Peter starts to realize that what he has been searching for as he walked from upstate New York to New Orleans was the God that people he had met along the way worshipped. He writes about an Evangelist he saw named James Robison that was preaching in Mobile, Alabama as Peter walked through on his way to New Orleans and the Gulf. Mr. Robison was preaching at a stadium venue and Peter was drawn inside by the billboards around town. One thing that Peter wrote that Mr. Robison said struck me as so undeniably true, " From the day you were born you wanted to 'do your own thing' and you were rebellious against God. If you want to really know God, you have got to repent of this rebellion, which the Bible calls sin."

As I was saying we need to keep turning things over to Him, because really it is our desire as humans to "do things our way". As Jame Robison so pointedly put it, every time we do something even a tad rebellious and seek to do something our way we are sinning and that requires repentance. Every time we say "I can handle our finances, I just need to get a promotion." or we think "Lord, I think I can handle this, not a problem for ME." we are rebelling against God. Proverbs 3:5-6 says "Trust in the LORD with ALL your heart and lean not on YOUR OWN understanding; in ALL YOUR WAYS acknowledge him, and He will make your paths straight."NIV Every time that I say that "I can do it alone" I am rejecting what the Lord has done for me. I challenge you all to keep asking Him for help and to surrender the ability to do things through you to Him.

Now some of you might say that Jesus died for our sins and that He knows our repentant hearts even before we pray for repentance. I believe that this isn't enough that we must confess with our hearts and lips that we are repentant. I also have come to realize that we are all rebellious against God no matter what our personality is like and that this must always be repented of. A faith walk is learning more and more to submit to the Lord's wants and needs for our lives. It is something thats extremely hard for all of us, but it is possible with the Lord's help and something that brings you great joy when you learn how to run to the Lord with EVERYTHING. Its really freeing.

Well, I have to go now. Just remember that Betka and I will be in the States in 2 weeks and 2 days, see you then!!!! :)

B & B

No comments: