Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Its really amazing that Christmas is just around the corner. This year is definitely not the usual in that I might not have gifts for everyone that I want to give gifts to. I have been trying to make my gifts cheaper and thriftier this year. Mainly being because I am a little short on money this year what with the wedding coming up and all, plus not having any income other than support.

Other than lack of funds, life is really good. The simple fact that having so little money affects me so much has really made me think alot about where my faith truly lies. Sometimes I think I find my joy and contentment in money or the stability that it brings. I didn't know this about myself until I started trusting the Lord to truly bring in all that I live on. It is a pretty difficult lesson that the Lord is teaching me right now, but I know that it isn't more than He knows I can handle, and it is for a better good. He has "plans to prosper me and not to harm me." I might feel sometimes like He is really not pleased with me, but then again is it really my job to please Him, should that be my only aim? If I am aiming to please Him and do everything for Him, then there is no room for accepting His grace. I have been reading True Faced by Bill Thrall, Bruce McNicol, and John Lynch. We're going through it in our small group and its really thought provoking. The synopsis on the back cover describes it best,
"Truefaced draws a clear distinction between two very different motives: my determination to please God or to trust Him. The resulting difference from these two starting points could not be more profound. One results in a striving that never feels it has done enough to please Him. The other results in a trust that experiences His full pleasure. Our motives as followers of Christ will either keep us in unresolved sin and immaturity or free us into God's astonishing dream for our life.
I am really enjoying it. Great discussions also.

The following picture is quite funny I think. They are clockwise from top left: Phil Seimer, Chad Elwell, John Householder, and Matt Klein. This might need some explaining. I will start by saying that this was their Christmas card for this year, of which I took the picture. The explanation is that some of the girls they know made it known that they think mustaches, tank tops on guys, and ugly sweaters are not cool. So in protest and just to get on a nerve or two the guys have always, for the last few years, dressed up weird like this for Christmas. I am proud to call these four men my friends.



I mustache (must-ask) you to have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Love you guys!
B

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Brian, I like the other links you have put in your blog. The other missionary info is great!
I tried the link to RCE and it doesn't work. You might want to check on it.
The Morrissey's blog is really neat. I like the links on the side and the additional info. The list of what to send is a neat touch. :)

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Love yoou bunches, :) Mom