Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Czech weekend . . .

Hello again faithful supporters.
This past weekend was wonderful! Not only did I have a much needed chance to catch up in person with my fiance, but I also got to reconnect with my friends in the Czech Republic in the churches of Farnost Mikulov. It is life as usual back there.

I was able to leave school a couple hours early after I was finished with my teaching for the day. This allowed me to be in Lednice by 6:00 PM when Michal came and picked us up to go to Novy Prerov for the youth meeting. This happens every Friday for the most part and I used to go all the time when I was living there. It was wonderful to see such friends as Petr Stoy, Martina Stoyova, Vasilka, and Tomas Kostka. It has been a month or more since I saw them last and it was a wonderful time. Then on Saturday I ate lunch with Betka and her mom, then headed to Valtice to visit with Irena Hajekova. Betka and I have been wanting to do this for some time, just haven't had the chance to do it. It was a truly blessed time. Irenka could not go anywhere at the present time because her father is in worse shape. He cannot walk at all. He cannot even help her get himself to the bathroom or anything like that. He as well as she can use your prayers. Irena cannot really take care of him and work to keep their apartment. Please keep her in your prayers as she struggles with thoughts of putting him in the hospital. She hates that idea, although she would be able to see him every day, she knows that the hospital is not where he would receive the best care. Irena has been going to the hospital in Valtice every Sunday for a while now reading the Bible to the elderly and dying. I guess in the Czech Republic the nurses take care of everything from houskeeping of the grounds to patient care, and quite frankly patient well-being is not high on the priority list of the nurses mainly beause they have no time to just work with the people. Therefor the people just lie in bed all day unless a family member comes to check on them and gets them up and about. So please pray for this and also that Irena would prepare herself for her father's passing sometime in the near future. He has failing health and is 88 to begin with. It is an inevitable thing that he will go and now without his ability to do simple things. Just please remember Irena when you pray she can use every one.

On another note school is going ok. I really like being here and it seems that the administration is very supportive of me and understanding when I fall behind a little. They are also a great source of encouragement, as is my mother. She shared with me what I in essence shared with her. TTN is an email that I get sent to my yahoo account. I told her about it and now she receives it. So she would not have been able to send this to me had I not first shared that with her. awesome how God works isn't it? Anyway. . . this email's text is something that really impacted me as far as my ministry here at VCS is concerned. I have hated teaching ESL and have said "I don't do ESL, TEFL, etc." Well, this email changed my tune. Now I will try, saying "I don't do . . ." limits God's ability to do something through us doesn't it? I really don't want that. Have a good day guys! :)

I Don't Do... (from TTN – September 26, 2006)

One of our students received an appointment from a bishop, and the student did not feel the placement exactly suited his abilities.

I overheard him complaining about it to another student, and then the other student said, "You know, the world's a better place because Michelangelo did not say, 'I don't do ceilings.' "

Her comment stopped me dead in my tracks. I had to admit she was right.

If you and I are going to be faithful to the ministry God is calling us to, then we had better understand that. I reflected on the attitudes of key people throughout the Scriptures and the history of the church.

The world's a better place because a German monk named Martin Luther did not say, "I don't do doors."

The world's a better place because an Oxford don named John Wesley didn't say, "I don't do preaching in fields."

The world's a better place because Moses didn't say, "I don't do Pharaohs or mass migrations."

The world's a better place because Noah didn't say, "I don't do arks and animals."

The world's a better place because Rahab didn't say, "I don't do enemy spies."
The world's a better place because Ruth didn't say, "I don't do mothers-in-law."
The world's a better place because Samuel didn't say, "I don't do mornings."

The world's a better place because David didn't say, "I don't do giants."

The world's a better place because Peter didn't say, "I don't do Gentiles."

The world's a better place because John didn't say, "I don't do deserts."

The world's a better place because Mary didn't say, "I don't do virgin births."

The world's a better place because Paul didn't say, "I don't do correspondence."
The world's a better place because Mary Magdalene didn't say, "I don't do feet."

The world's a better place because Jesus didn't say, "I don't do crosses."

And the world will be a better place only if you and I don't say, "I don't do ..."

See: Genesis 22:2; Jos 11:15; 2 Kings 18:6; Heb 5:8.
-- Leonard Sweet, United Theological Seminary, Dayton, Ohio.
Leadership, Vol. 15, no. 2.--

In His grip,

B


1 comment:

Ruth R said...

AMEN!!!!!